Friday, February 04, 2005

Preparing for Vacation

My life is full of wonderful blessings, the most recent feels abit selfish and indulgent as I prepare to embark on a family vacation. Being a dad of two teenage boys, my life appears to be wrapped up in one sports activity after another.

However, thanks to my wonderful wife we are about to embark on a family vacation. Now we have traveled as a family back when the boys were 1 and 2 years of age. Although we enjoyed our time, that vacation was as much fun as it was a learning point in parenting. I will share the story from days gone by later. Today my focus is on this family vacation.

Today my son's are 13 & 14 and well on their way to become wonderful young men. Hopefully this vacation will serve as a catalyst to launch a better relationship between me sons and I. Specifically Eric my 14 year old.

He is so much like me when I was his age. We have grown distant, while living under the same roof. Don't get me wrong, Eric is a great person and I love him for who he is, however we don't have the friendliest of relationships. I freely admit that I as a dad have brought my own life issues into my parenting. Come to think of it, I didn't take a class on being a dad, nor have I ever found a training manual that has an 'Easy' button to push when life becomes difficult. Eric like me is loved by all. He is a hard worker and an even stronger believer than I was or to an extent am today.

This may sound harsh, but as my belief is 100% solid in our creator, I can say that my walk has not been the most glowing review of who Jesus is. Now Eric on the other hand walks a very disciplined walk. I watch him do things that surprise me as he walks in obedience to God. The way he prays and spends time with God on his own can be truly inspiring. However, our time together usually revolves around silence or confrontations. I am learning to let go of control, not only of my life to God, but of Eric's life to Eric.

So again, hopefully on this vacation, we will get to spend some time together doing things we have never done before. I am looking forward to exploring God's world through Eric's eyes over this next week.

So as much as Vacation is to get away from work and other details that make day to day life what it is, this vacation is about rediscovering what it means to be dad and realizing that my little boys are now young men and that it is time to truly let go and let God.

I shall return as this story is only at its beginning...as a family we are going on a vacation with three other families from our church...this will be our first cruise and our first experience with snorkles...I am eager to see what life lessons God has in store for us and for me. As a friend has recently wrote...it's time for me to jump off the high-dive!!! Thanks Mary.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary DeMuth said...

You are welcome! And please let us know how your vacation went! How very fun!!!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home