Friday, November 04, 2005

Out of energy

Let me speak in plain language today. It is just at 3:00PM on a Friday and I am exhausted. For most of the week I have been reflective and to some extent energetic...today I am plain wore out. The pressure of life is just simply heavy today and I can't seem to point to one specific thing, just a culmination of many things.

Last night a friend shared about their son getting ready to return to Iraq. Her story really challenges my belief and support of what we as a nation are doing, but I continue to remain in strong support of our current administration and the fight for freedom in Iraq. My self, I have served 7 1/2 years in the Army, however I never did come face to face with fighting a war, nor did I ever want to. I was however prepared to serve if called upon.

Having said this, my heart goes out to my friends and their son. On that note, my heart is hurting for everyone involved in this battle. If anything, today I would challenge everyone to simply write a letter, send a card, make contact with a soldier fighting in the war. A simple card is worth more than a winning lotter ticket to the majority of our soldiers away from home.

It's not just the soldiers, as the same could be said for the many individuals and families serving as missionaries in a foreign community or land. Recently I was told that we have no idea what it means for a missionary friend to recieve a care package with a package of Reese's Cups!!! I urge all of us, as much as we connect through Cyberspace, send something through snail mail.

I know that when I was in the military and in a foreign land, I could hold somethign that I received in the mail and know that the person who sent it to me also held this gift in their hands, and in a small way I feel connected. For one simple moment I am able to slip away and be home!!!

I suppose that is what I need at the moment, so as I write this I picture myself at home. For me, my picture of home is a Kincaid painting called the "Prayer Garden" I can close my eyes and picture myself standing knee deep in the stream simply enjoying the sounds and smells of that nature. For this brief moment I am connected to God and to being home.

Only for a moment as now I hear the sounds of my dogs running in and out of the house, my older son Eric bouncing a tennis ball in the house and Ryan trying to get the dogs to play fetch in the house.

It's time to reconnect with reality and move forward, but for the last 10 minutes I was able to take a deep breath and wind down. Now I can go into the week-end with a little taste of peace on my mind.

I'm curious, what do you do to wind down at the end of a stressful day or week?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home