Monday, November 14, 2005

Daily Inventory

Wow, quite simply a rush of thought and events have passed through my mind this past week. From the Riots in France, to the spectacle that is Terrell Owens in the NFL, to volunteering at the MLS Cup yesterday in Frisco, to a frustrating attempt to stall my irate customer while my company works on a true solution, to fighting some type of sickness, to getting ready to go out of town for 4 days...well the list goes on and on.

We all have our own relatively large "To Do" list that never seems to get completely done. After all as we finish a few items, a few more jump on for a free ride. How do we cope with so much to do.

Would it be wise to sort through these things and actually place a value on each item as well as firgure out where each sits in relation to our purpose? That's a tough one, after all that implies that we know our purpose. For this exercise, let's provide a given that we have this knowledge, so now what?

My experience shows me that we tend to focus on things that are on our minds at the moment so perhaps, this is an opportunity to work through a structured "Inventory" list. My friends like to refer to the 12 Steps associated with Alcoholics Anonomous. Specifically to step 4/5 and 10. Upone reviewing these steps, I found that it was and is helpful to sort through this with categories of which I am using the following:

  1. Physical
  2. Relational
  3. Spiritual
  4. Behavioral
  5. Personal

Actually this list is taken from "A L.I.F.E. Guide" my Mark Laaser, Ph.D. page 138 to be specific.

Taking a look at these areas of my life on a nearly daily basis, helps me to not wander off track too much. This helps me stay connected to me. When I'm not, I tend to disconnect from those around me.

I pause today as I go through this exercise. In reality a daily check-in for me is difficult. It requires a willingness to be real with myself, to be honest when the only one who knows the truth is me. How willing are you to be real on a daily basis? Are you willing to celebrate when you achieve this freedom? Are you willing to work for this freedom?

Ouch, I just realized there is no lottery on personal freedom. Yes, we can all choose salvation...but what must we do to live in true freedom? For me, a daily inventory helps to keep me in reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home